Just as we have in years past, the MSDPO provided much needed support to students, teachers, and staff at MSD during the 2012-2013 school year. This support included:
- Purchase of special commemorative t-shirts to honor the student-athletes that brought home the Boys Basketball Championship, Girls Free Throw Championship, and the Spirit Stick Award from the 2013 Great Plains Schools for the Deaf Basketball Tournament.
- Purchase of supplies used by students to build a float they entered into the Fulton Jaycees Winter Holiday Parade. We also purchased two reusable magnetic signs identifying the school that were placed on the vehicle used to pull the float.
- Sponsored the MSD football team preview in the annual Mid-Missouri Pigskin Preview.
- Donated the prizes for the MSD Student Talent Show in April.
- Made a donation to the Senior Class of 2013 to assist in the purchase of the senior gift.
- Awarded the “Eager Eagle Awards” to students at the year-end awards ceremonies.
- Donated the book Historic MSD by Richard Reed to all graduating seniors.
- Joined the Missouri School for the Deaf Alumni Association in awarding a $500.00 scholarship to the 2013 salutatorian.
- Sponsored the first Superintendent's Award scholarship of $500.00 that was presented to the 2013 valedictorian.
- Honored MSD staff during Staff Appreciation Week by purchasing two cakes.
We were able to provide this support, thanks to the continued generosity of everyone that purchased items during our special sales promotions, and at our Fall and Winter Homecoming booths. All of you helped to make this one of our best years ever. Currently, we are planning our sales campaigns for next year. Once again, we will be updating everyone through our Facebook and Twitter sites on new items that will be available for purchase. If you are not already a friend of our sites, be sure to join. You can find us under “Missouri School for the Deaf Parents’ Organization”. You may also preview and order merchandise online through our MSDPO web site at www.msdpo.org .
Our efforts were also helped by the continued growth of the Box Tops for Education program. In 2011-2012 (our first year in the program) we earned $215.00. Last year we earned $263.30. Already this year, we have over $140.00 in Box Tops that we will be submitting once the new submission period opens. Please continue to collect those Box Tops. Our goal for this next year is to top $500.00 in Box Tops submitted. With your help, I know we can reach it!
The 2013-2014 school year is going to be an exciting one as we continue our efforts to increase the support we provide to MSD students, teachers, and staff; continue to grow and improve our fundraising activities; work to boost our Box Top collection campaign; continue looking for ways to better communicate with our supporters; and select new officers that will lead the organization to even greater heights in the years to come. Why don’t you join us? We would love to hear your ideas, and would welcome your involvement.