Another effort we undertook was to create and offer new MSD-themed merchandise. Throughout the school year, and during the Fall and Winter Homecomings, new products and designs were unveiled. These included hats, pull-over jackets, long and short-sleeved shirts, and hoodies. Besides boosting school spirit, these new products helped the MSDPO have two of the most successful sales efforts at both the Fall and Winter Homecomings. Already, new products are being developed for the next school year. We will be releasing information on these new items through our Facebook and Twitter pages. If you are not already a member, be sure to join. You can find us under “Missouri School for the Deaf Parents’ Organization”. You can also preview and order merchandise online through our MSDPO web site.
Fundraising is just a small part of what we do as a parent organization. The primary reason we exist is to support the students, teachers, and staff at MSD. The proceeds earned from fundraising projects are used to purchase items for the dorms, provide summer camp and college scholarships, obtain supplies for instructors, and for other projects that support our mission of “improving the education, recreation, health, and employment opportunities” for all MSD students. During the 2011-2012 school year, the MSDPO provided support through the following:
- Purchase of polo shirts with a specially designed logo to be used by students participating in Academic Bowl competitions. Prior to the purchase of these shirts, students were wearing t-shirts to the competitions.
- Purchase of an eagle-themed area rug to help with the renovations of the Eagles Nest, where students go to socialize.
- Donated items that were used in the making of a basket for the Senior Class fundraiser at the Fall Homecoming.
- Sponsored the MSD football team preview in the annual Mid-Missouri Pigskin Preview.
- Donated the prizes for the MSD Student Talent Show in May.
- Provided a donation to the student-led effort to raise funds for the Puppies for Parole program.
- Awarded the “Eager Eagle Awards” to students at the year-end awards ceremonies.
- Donated the book Historic MSD by Richard Reed to all graduating seniors.
- Joined the Missouri School for the Deaf Alumni Association in awarding $500.00 scholarships to the 2012 valedictorian and salutatorian.
- Provided scholarships to assist students with summer camp enrollment fees.
- Donated items for the bags distributed at the ASL Parents Camp held in June 2012.
We are looking forward to another successful and exciting effort during the 2012-2013 school year. Why don’t you join us? We would love to hear your ideas, and would welcome your involvement.
If you would like to join us or are just interesting in finding out more about the MSDPO and its activities select “Join Us” on this web site and complete the online information form.